I began painting in 2004, just before I embarked in the Film Studies program at the University of Montreal. Although guided by plain curiosity in the beginning, painting quickly became an intriguing new field of artistic possibilities. I usually have more ideas than I can realistically bring to execution, but I try to be disciplined and paint on a daily basis.
My work as a painter is rooted in sculpture and design. Painting is for me no different from modelling and building objects in the physical world. I make extensive use of different colours, textures and geometry to give shapes a certain intention, direction, energy or personality, and I delight in the conflicts, contrasts and surprises that arise from the many parts of the painting, as if each shape strove to define itself and to find the perfect way to exist in relationship with the the other shapes and with the rest of the painting.
I aim for the beauty of universal forms, sometimes inspired by architecture, landscapes or biological forms. These compositions stem from a certain idea of the relationships that exist between the things of the world, be it nature, man or man-made environments. But my paintings can ultimately be tied to certain constructions of a more poetic realm, where they are linked to vague emotions, dreams and memories that would otherwise be very difficult to describe.
Profile: Bachelors of Art in Cinema, University of Montreal, 2004-2007. My main interests are visual arts, new media and cinema.
Artistic activities and presentations:
Visual arts :
- Jeffrey Meier Gallery, Spring group exhibition, New Jersey, 2015.
- Arts Cafe Gallery, group exhibition, Montreal, 2014.
- Massiv Art, Chromatic group exhibition, SAT, Montreal, 2011.
- Massiv Art, “En couleurs” group exhibition, Montreal, 2010.
- Group exhibition at the Sustainable Business Conference, Concordia University, Montreal, 2009.
- Group exhibition: Massiv Art, Eastern Block, Montreal, 2009.
- Silent auction: Image of the invisible, on behalf of Montrea’s Children’s Hospital, Montreal, 2009.
- Le Chat des Artistes, Recent Paintings, solo exhibition, Montreal, 2008.
- Galerie Zone Orange, Oil Paintings, Montreal, 2008-2009.
- Solo exhibition: Photographs of Montreal and Mexico. Café Rico, Oct/2008.
- In-Extenso, oil paintings, solo exhibition, Montreal. March 2008.
- Solo exhibition: Oil paintings. Aux Vivres, Montreal, September 2007.
- « Marianne et Sophie », 2011. Feature film, 82 minutes.
- Marbella International Film Festival, Spain, 2012.
- American Online Film Awards, official selection, 2014.
- « Le monde intérieur », 2010. Video, 1’30”.
- 1st Prize, Biblioclip contest, Montreal, 2010.
- Courts métrages québécois, Festival Fantasia, 2011.
- « Une place dans le monde », 2008. Video, 10 min.
- 1st Prize, Public/Private Film Festival, Concordia University, Montreal, 2009.
- Official selection, Migr@tions contest, Radio Canada International, 2008.
- Migr@tions programme selection, World Film Festival, Montreal.
- Migr@tions programme selection, Silver Wave Festival, New Brunswick.
- Short film official selection, Urban Film Festival, Tehran, Iran.
- « L’interprétation des rêves ou les aventures du Robot Bleu », 2008. Video, 1’40.
- 1st prize at Super U’s TAC.tv contest, 2008.
- 2nd prize, Biblioclip contest, Montreal.
- Quebec Short Films, Fantasia Festival, 2008.
- Official selection, Festival Vidéaste Recherché, Quebec City, 2008.
- Public/Private Film Festival, Concordia University, Montreal, 2009.
- International Selection, Festival des Très Courts, Paris, France, 2009.
- SESSIF Festival, Seoul, Korea, 2009.
- « Idylle Facile », 2005. 16mm, 3 minutes (student film)
- Jury Award at the University’s end-of-year retrospective, 2005.
- Best student experimental film, CIAFF, Toronto, 2006.
- Best director award, Libre Court Festival, Montreal, 2006.
• Bachelors of Arts in Cinema: University of Montreal, 2004 – 2007.